Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Exercise #1



Describe what you see in this photo. Describe what you don't see-- the interior. Describe the person who comes out of the place. What does the person do?

As I wandered aimlessly through the woods that sunny afternoon, I happened upon a lone wooden structure standing stoically among the trees. Its timbers were old and weathered; the wood rough and faded. I could tell it had stood there many years, yet despite its age, it was in good condition. 

As I ventured closer I could see that it straddled a swiftly moving stream. A large waterwheel was hidden amid the foliage. Just then I heard the grinding of gears and the rush of water. The aged waterwheel slowly came to life and began to turn. I stood there mesmerized by the rotation caused by the flow of water over the wheel.

I closed my eyes and listened to the churning of the water. It seemed to drown out all other sounds in the forest. It was such a soothing sound that I soon became lost in my reverie. 

I was brought back to reality for a moment when a familiar scent assailed my nostrils; the smell of freshly cut lumber. I was immediately transported back to my childhood. The hours spent with my father in his carpenter workshop flooded my memory like a tidal wave. I inhaled deeply and all I could think of was home.
I quietly approached the door and looked inside. Just as I thought, it was an old saw mill. I watched as the saw blade cut through a large log effortlessly. It was much more exciting to watch then my father’s electric table saw. I thought to myself, “It is too easy to plug into and outlet and flip a switch. This machine is a specimen of pure ingenuity and creativity.” 

It was then that I saw him. An old man wearing overalls and tattered work boots appeared as from nowhere. Gray hair framed his weathered face. His rough and calloused hands expertly guided the log along its path. He hummed softly to himself as he worked. He was totally focused on the task at hand and my presence went unnoticed.

I stood there for some time imagining what his life had been like. Had his father run the mill before him? Did he spend his childhood watching his father at work? Did he have a wife? Children? Grandchildren? Where had he lived? Had he been able to fulfill all his goals and dreams in life? What had he learned during his sojourn on this earth that he could share? What were his strongest memories? Greatest joys? Disappointments? 

I was hit with a strong desire to rush up to him and ask him all of those questions tumbling around in my mind. Instead, I took one last look at his gentle face and quietly slipped back out into the woods.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I like this...reminds me of MT and brought a tear to my eye!! Thanks for always stopping over at my blog!! Yes, I owe all of the cute pics to my cute subjects...lol They are so much fun!! Bet you can't wait to meet the new nephew...I know I can't!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete